Best natural mosquito repellent for yard you make yourself just might be the best one. There are many recipes available for making insect repellent and this article will help you to sort through them. You will find out which homemade mosquito spray for yard is best for you.
Best Natural Mosquito Repellent for Yard
What would make the best natural mosquito repellent for yard use? What ingredients would go into such a homemade product and how easy is it to attain these ingredients? Actually, the best natural mosquito repellent for yard doesn’t have to be a homemade remedy. It could be something as easy as cutting your grass every week or attracting natural predators. For instance, attracting bats and birds to your property will keep mosquitos away. Install bat huts, bird feeders, and birdhouses.
Homemade Outdoor Mosquito Repellent
On the other hand, you can make your own homemade mosquito spray for yard. There are many different combinations of ingredients that you can put together to make these sprays. Let’s look at a few of these.
- Sugar Mosquito Traps – To make this trap you mix ½ cup of brown sugar with 1 tablespoon of dry yeast, ½ cup of boiling water, and a plastic 2-liter bottle. Now cut the bottle in half and add the brown sugar and boiling water. Dissolve the sugar. After the mixture cools sprinkled the yeast on top. Invert the top of the bottle that you cut earlier and place it on the bottom part. Place outside where the mosquitos would congregate around people.
- Lemon Eucalyptus Carrier Oil – Mix lemon eucalyptus with carrier oil at a 1/9 part ratio. Pour around where the mosquitos are most plentiful.
- Peppermint Coconut Oil – you need 30 ml of coconut oil and 12 drops of peppermint oil mixed well. Apply to your skin where mosquitoes could bite. Do not put it on your face.
- Tea Tree Coconut Oil – this is very much like the previous recipe with 10 drops of tea tree oil to 30 ml of coconut oil. Apply directly to your skin.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – this one is a little different. For instance, you need to add equal parts water to apple cider vinegar with clove, citronella, or eucalyptus oil at about 10 drops for every 50 ml of water. Again apply this directly to your skin.
Homemade Mosquito Spray For Yard
The next few recipes are some of the best natural mosquito repellent for yard. Just mix up these recipes, pour them in a spray bottle and spray your yard and any plants around the exterior of the house.
- Recipe # 1: For this recipe, you need garlic cloves, mineral oil, lime juice, and water. One quantity would use whole garlic gloves about 5 medium-sized. You need one tablespoon of mineral oil and one teaspoon of lime juice. The amount of water for these ingredients is 2 cups.
Mince the garlic into a bowl and add the mineral oil. Let it marinate overnight. Strain the solution in the morning and add the lemon juice and water to the garlic oil solution. Mix well and pour into a spray bottle. Not only is this great for your plants and yard, you can also use it on your own skin a couple times a day.
- Recipe # 2: This one is a little more complicated. For instance, there are more ingredients in this recipe. Remember how you made the mosquito trap at the beginning of this article? Make the bottle the same way for this recipe. Cut the bottle in half. Add ¼ cup of baking soda to the bottom of the bottle. Invert the top and place it on the bottom like a funnel. Pour one cup of vinegar into this so that it mixes with the baking soda. Place the solution outside. You can apply this to your skin when mosquitos are around.
- Recipe #3: Get a large bottle of any type of mouthwash. You need three cups of Epsom salt and a can of beer – 12 ounces. The beer is optional. Mix the mouthwash and Epsom salt until the salt dissolves. If you want you can now add the can of beer. Mix it well. The beer will make your solution more effective. Pour it into a spray bottle and spray your yard, plants, and house exterior a couple times a week.
- Recipe # 4 is pretty simple. Cut several lemons in half and insert cloves into each of the halves. Put these lemons in a spray bottle of water. You can treat your yard, inside and outside of your home.
Check out this tips for your Garden:
Natural Bug Repellent For Yard
You can take any of the ingredients below and add them to water and you will have a natural bug repellent for yard. Some are more effective than others and the best thing to do is to try them one at a time until you find the one that works best for you. These ingredients are:
- 4 cloves of garlic mashed.
- 2 tablespoons of mint leaves crushed.
- 1 quart of apple cider vinegar.
- 2 tablespoons of marjoram.
- 2 tablespoons of anise hyssop.
- 1 tablespoon of lavender flowers crushed.
- 2 tablespoons of sage.
- 2 tablespoons of rosemary crushed.
Best Natural Mosquito Repellent For Yard
In addition to all these natural remedies that you can apply to your skin or spray around your yard and home, there are some plants that keep mosquitoes away. In particular, the following four are very effective. They are Lemon Grass, Eucalyptus Trees, Phenomenal Lavender, and Citronella. Many of these plants will seem obvious or very familiar.
In the past ten to fifteen years, Citronella candles and torches have become very popular for keeping the mosquitoes away at night. The other three trees and bushes – namely Lemon Grass, Phenomenal Lavender, and Eucalyptus Trees – produce many of the ingredients in our sprays or skin oils.
Any of these recipes or ingredients will give you a natural mosquito repellent for your yard and yourself.